Here is a letter that was sent out to cowshare members August 14th. Much of the money needed to finance the purchase of the 200 acres has already been committed. However more participants are still needed. I’m sure non-cow-share-members who also share an interest in the future of raw milk would be very much welcome to take part in this initiative. For more complete details see this earlier post.
Dear Cow Share Members [and friends of raw milk]:
For those of you able to attend, we hope you all enjoyed the meeting we had on August 4th in Richmond Hill and August 7th and as much as we did. It is very fulfilling to see the level of interest and commitment displayed, not only at this meeting, but over the almost 3 years since the raid and indeed, over the 20 years we have been privileged to work with many of you to bring you wholesome, healthy food.
As you know, we are facing an immediate situation with the 200 acres we are attempting to purchase by early September. This land has been an integral part of the farm since long before we were forced to sell it in the mid 90s. It continues to be a vital to the operation of the farm as we all know it. It provides the majority of the winter feed for the cows in addition to pasture land for the younger cows not yet ready for milking.
To restate the short term plan, we are looking for 15 individuals who are willing to lend the Farm Co-op $20,000 each for two years at 5% interest. We have been very heartened to find that there are a number of people who are interested in helping with this.
However, it is now time to make the final decision as to whether you can make this commitment.
We need to have a firm answer so that we can have the money in place by the first week of September. Please contact either Jeff or Kevin to let them know if you can participate at this level.
For those of you have expressed interest in a smaller amount (5,000 or 10,000),it would be a big help as well. If you wish to invest an amount $2,000 or over we are prepared to issue you Class A preference shares in the co-operative. The dividends on these shares have no fixed rate, however it is our intention to pay 4% on any amount over $2000 at this time. If you are interested in this smaller investment, please contact Elisa or Michael directly
So in short there are 2 ways you can help
Option Nr 1
A loan of $20,000 or more to the co-operative via Kevin and Jeff at 5% interest secured by the land.
Option Nr 2
Purchase 20 or more Class A preference shares, valued at $100 each($2,000 or more) in the co-operative and recieve dividends on any amount over $2,000.
Please find below again the initial letter and attached the document fromCow share to Farm share which you also can pick up at the Blue Bus.
In respect to the legal situation how this could effect your investment as explained at the two meetings let us explain the following.
Michael is charged and on trial not the Co-operative. All actions have been against him personally. Already in 1995 Michael has legally severed him self from Glencolton Farms. All current legal actions do not involve the Co-operative which owns and runs Glencolton Farms.
Kevin Moynagh email@example.com (905)770-6144 or
Jeff Lucas firstname.lastname@example.org (905)508-6553
Michael and Elisa email@example.com (519)372-6570
Elisa, Michael, Markus, and all your cows